I use to be more concerned with what outfit to wear and who’s party I was going to attend; But it’s time for me to grow up. My priorities have shifted and my current focus is to obtain a Bachelor in Business, followed by an MBA. I feel it is necessary to land my dream job in Human Resources. HR can be defined as the persons responsible for health benefits, payroll, accounting, environmental and/or personal issues. An HR rep might also be responsible for the hiring, firing/exiting, training/orientation and the maintenance of the company’s objectives. As you can see it is difficult to pinpoint to precise roll of a human resource representative. Some may find it hard to distinguish the difference between an HR rep and a controller of a company; the problem might be that some companies only have one qualified person in charge of both departments. Having your master’s in business qualifies you for either position. Although controllers typically are associated with accountants, a controller is not required to have a CPA.
Ok, so take a breath and recap, I am just as confused as you. I want to go into this field but need to be more specific of what genre or HR I wish to go in to. I would prefer to be the one recruiting, training and mentoring. I would love to travel for a company, hold seminars, and reinforce the company’s objectives. I want to be the person holding the company meetings that stress the importance of teamwork and tackle any glass ceilings that may still exist and need to be handled. With the economy in the dumps, and most of the labor force finding themselves taking on multiple rolls due to downsizing, I narrowed my research question to simply explore, “if there’s still a demand to uphold employee moral or have business switched gears, eliminating “HR”, and focus more on profit and not employees?” It costs money to properly train a new hire; Health benefits are being cut, the number of disgruntle employees are rising, but the economy remains unstable. The unemployed are a dime a dozen, leaving those valued employees vulnerable to the vultures. There’s the door, put up, or shut up are the new guidelines for the employed.


Human Resources is a department that seems to be associated with many legalities. If employers don't follow mandated laws and practices, lawsuits are unavoidable. I would imagine that your dream job would require you to be very knowledgeable about labor laws with on-going training.
ReplyDelete